Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Most Richly Blessed


I asked God for strength, that I might achieve;
I was made weak
that I might learn to humbly obey.
I asked for Health, that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity,
that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy;
I was given poverty,
that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness,
that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life;
I was given life,
that I might enjoy all things.
I received nothing I asked for,
but EVERYTHING I hoped for.
Despite myself............... my unspoken prayers
were answered.
I am, among men, most richly blessed.

`Author unknown, found in the pocket of a dead soldier.`

Title of print above: The Prayer at Valley Forge

No comments: