Friday, May 11, 2007

Marriage vs. Cohabitation


His Word is still our guide.
Hebrews 13:8 "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, yes and forever."
2 Timothy 3:16 & 17 "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

Thou shalt not commit adultery. Exodus 20:14

One man and one woman.
Genesis 2:18 The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." 23 "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman' for she was taken out of man." 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

What God has joined together, let no man put asunder.
Matthew 19:6 "Consequently they [husband & wife] are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."



By the numbers, divorce just isn't what it used to be.
From YAHOO! News




From "Inspired by a True Story"
Divorce Proceedings
I am beginning a new project dealing with the personal and social consequences of divorce.
The first resource I’ve turned to in my research is Jen Abbas’ book Generation Ex.
In the first few pages I found a quote where she articulates an idea that has been simmering in the back of my mind a long time.
Abbas writes:
“Even if you think you don’t have any lingering issues, I invite you to discover how…divorce has changed your life. You did not experience the fullness of what God designed for you in a family, and so you have been hurt. It’s just that you are part of a generation that has learned to see these scars as normal.”
When it comes to understanding post-60’s generations, this point cannot be overemphasized. The confusion, the hedonism, the anxiety we see in young people today must be understood in light of the collapse of the family unit that was designed to provide a life-long sense of security and direction.
My parents are not divorced. But even people like me whose families remain intact are deeply affected by a culture that takes divorce and its aftermath to be normal.
I remember being a child and playing with some other boys on a hill near our home. Gary told us about how his parents had split up and he’d gone before the judge to say whether he wanted to live with his mom or dad.
The story horrified me. Even though the experience had not been mine, I was able to imagine myself having to make such a terrible choice. The divorce of my friend’s parents made me less secure in believing my own parents would stay together.
We tend to think divorce is a private matter. Most people have forgotten the issue once had a political angle. Kids in my generation and subsequent ones have been damaged not only by our own divorcing parents, but by every legislator and governor who helped enshrine no-fault divorce in law and by every activist who agitated for the change.
It is hard when you grow up in a divorce culture to see that the cynicism, suspicion about relationships, and insecurity of your peers is not normal, but the result of society’s approval of the get-single-quick scheme of no-fault divorce. There aren’t many places to look for another model.
I am interested in hearing stories of how people have been affected by their parents’ divorces. If you are willing to share what coming of age in a divorce culture has meant for you, leave your story in the comment thread, or email me at deansblog at yahoo.com.

No comments: